Dr Bruno Amendola
HABITS THAT ARE BAD FOR YOUR SKIN REVEALED
It's no secret - we’re all guilty of having the odd bad habit or two. However, some habits are worse than others and can actually be detrimental to both our health and our skin!
Here are 5 bad habits that are actually harming your skin:
1. Not washing your face before bed – when you come home from work and you're tired, it can be pretty easy to forget to look after yourself and wash your face at night. But all that time spent on the tube, walking around the city, and being in an office full of people can lead to dirty skin and clogged pores. Make sure you give your face a scrub before getting into bed – your skin will thank you for it in the morning.
2. Not enough sleep – sleep is extremely important when it comes to all aspects of looking after ourselves. Getting enough sleep helps revitalizes our energy banks and allows our skin to regenerate, giving you a fresher and more youthful appearance. Bonus tip: use a silk pillowcase when getting your head down; other materials take moisture from the skin, leaving it dry and flaky.
3. Smoking – when it comes to your skin, smoking causes dehydration and deprives the skin of oxygen and the vital vitamins it needs to recover. This leads to you looking older and leaves skin damaged and in need of repair.
4. Bad diet – while chocolate and wine help us navigate through the difficult journey that is life, eating too much sugar and drinking too alcohol is detrimental to both our skin and our bodies. These two vices can cause breakouts, aggravate hormonal acne and lead to red, inflamed skin.
5. Tanning - that tan you got in Cyprus may look nice in your holiday photos, but it won’t be doing your skin any favours. Overexposure to sunlight can weaken the elasticity of the skin, leading to sags, bags and wrinkles - which, let’s face it, none of us want. Next time you’re on holiday, consider slapping on a bit of factor 50 for optimal protection.
If you're after EVEN better skin, book in for one of my many skincare procedures available at the clinic!